Eldercare Community Resources

Whether you are looking for community resources locally or in another state, there are agencies available to you for assistance with elder care questions, services and resources. Different states use different names but for concerns about the abuse, neglect or exploitation of adults, Adult Protective Services is mandated to assess and respond to calls about these concerns.

To provide information and referral about different local services, contact the Area Agency on Aging for the area in which your loved ones live and for emergency mental health care, contact the Community Services Board for their area. The Department of Social Services takes Medicaid applications, processes requests for Food Stamps and assists with Nursing Facility Placement when elders need that level of care and are currently living in the community, their home or someone else's home.

Charlottesville Area Resources

Jefferson Area Board on Aging:  Phone:  (434) 817-5222

Department of Social Services:

  • Albemarle County:  (434) 972-4010
  • Charlottesville City:  (434) 970-3400
  • Greene County:  (434) 985-5246
  • Fluvanna County:  (434)  842-8221
  • Louisa County:  (540) 967-1320
  • Madison County:  (540) 948-5521
  • Nelson County:  (434) 263-8334
  • Orange County:  (540) 672-1155

JAUNT transportation: (434) 295-6165 or (800) 365-2868

Community Service Boards:

  • Region Ten - Charlottesville:  (434) 970-1458
  • Rappahannock-Rapidan:  (540) 825-3100
  • Valley:  (540) 887-3200

Virginia Resources:

Community Service Boards

Department of Social Services

Eldercare Locator:  800-677-1116

Senior Navigator

National Resources:

National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers

National Association of Elder Law Attorneys