Patient Rights and Responsibilities
UVA Outpatient Surgery Center emphasizes that a
patient’s rights and responsibilities include the
The right to:
- considerate and respectful care.
- receive from your physician current information, in language
that you can understand, about your illness, treatment, and expected
- refuse medical treatment, procedures, or other components of
care and to be informed of the medical consequences of such a
- have all communications about your care treated as
- know the identity of the physician responsible for
coordinating your care and all other physicians and health care
professionals involved in your care.
- agree to refuse to participate in any clinical research study
or experiment related to your care or treatment.
- receive prompt and reasonable responses to your requests for
- review your bill and discuss any questions you may have about
The responsibility to:
- fully participate in decisions involving your own health care
and to accept the consequences of these decisions if complications
- follow your doctor’s instructions.
- communicate pertinent health care information.
- seek clarification when you do not fully understand your
health problems and the proposed plan of care.
- respect the rights of others.
- provide accurate information for insurance
- pay your bills
You are forbidden:
- to engage in physical or verbal abuse
- from using alcohol or illegal substances.
- to carry weapons of any kind.