Nursing Shared Governance
The Professional Nursing Staff Organization (PNSO) has been the means of nursing shared governance at UVA Health System since 1988. The Chief Nursing Officer, responsible for the nursing practice of all areas of the Health System and an active participant in the PNSO's shared governance groups, expects each RN to participate in local or central PNSO activities annually, and supports the roles of the PNSO President and President-elect as 50%central positions in PNSO activities while retaining 50% of their time in their local clinical roles. The participation of direct-care nurses in institutional planning and decision-making is achieved through this empowering infrastructure.
- What is "Shared Governance"?
- Learn more about the PNSO's core principles and rich history
- See the Detailed Shared Governance Toolkit for PNSO Local & Central Committees.
- Bylaws guide the PNSO
- The Nursing Cabinet oversees committees in fulfilling the mission of the PNSO
- The PNSO's Nomination & Election process
- 2013 PNSO Organizational Structure Diagram
- 2013 Committee Chairs and Mission Statements
- 2013 Committee Membership listings (email PNSO@virginia.edu to update listings)
- 2013 Agenda & Minutes Template (archive minutes monthly in shared drive, or by emailing to PNSO@virginia.edu.)
- APN Committee resources
- Night Shift Committee & Educational series
- What has Shared Governance accomplished?
Check out the 2012 PNSO President's Report and PNSO Annual Report, coming soon!
Contact the PNSO Office if you're interested in joining a central committee or learning more about shared governance - and work with your manager to participate in one of your local PNSO committees!