At UVA, we encourage our nurses to pursue certification in their specialty - it brings new skills to the bedside, benefitting our patients, and is professionally rewarding! Certification is a requirement for Clinician 4 and Advanced Practice roles.
Celebrate National Certified Nurses Day!
- March 19th is the national day for recognizing certified nurses annually.
- The PNSO sponsors events during the entire week such as roving carts with information and treats.
- The PNSO also sponsors a Certification Rally. The rally is held in two parts. Part I recognizes already certified nurses to come celebrate their achievement! Part II of the event targets nurses who express a desire to become certified.
- 4/10/14: Certification Rally in the Dining Conference Rooms: 0900-0930 for already Certified RNs, 1000-1030 for RNs interested in certification! (Rescheduled from our March snowed-out event!)
- Local units are also encouraged to recognize the certified
nurses on their team!
- 2014 Shared Agenda Theme for local & central PNSO Committees in March is Certification!
- 2014 Local Honor Roll of Certified Nurses!
- Make sure we recognize your achievement!
RN Professional Profile updated at least twice a year!
Tips for UVA Nurses on Becoming Certified
- Consult your local Certification Champion: See the 2013 list (email us to add your name to this resource list!)
- Computer-Based Learning Module: See Netlearning anytime for CBL "Certification Review Materials - Nursing"
- Study Guides: The PNSO Professional Development Committee is partnering with the Health System Library and Nursing Education Services to support nursing certification. Certification resources include purchased and donated study materials, recorded webinars and on-line learning modules. List of resources available at the Health System Library.
- CE Direct & Pearls Review Courses: UVA has
purchased a number of seats for CE Direct (curious
about what they offer? see
course catalog), which includes Pearls Certification
Review Courses for over 80 certifications as well as thousands of
continuing education offerings, to make it easy for UVA nurses to get
certified & stay certified! Seats are popular - contact the Nursing
Education Services Office to learn whether a seat is currently
available, or to be added to the waiting list.
- Study Tips from CE Direct
- Test-Taking Tips available here
- Information about specific certifications (email
us to add tips for other specialties):
- Cardiac Vascular Nurse ( RN-BC)
- Certified Medical-Surgical Nurse ( CMSRN)
- Certified Nurse Educator ( CNE)
- Critical Care Nursing Certification ( CCRN)
- Neuroscience Nurse ( CNRN) - see NetLearning for UVA-hosted classes!
- Nursing Professional Development certification
- OB-GYN and Neonatal certifications through National Certification Corporation
- Oncology Nursing Certification ( OCN, CPHON, CPON, CBCN)
- Orthopaedic Nursing Certification ( ONC)
- Pain Management Certification ( RN-BC)
- Certified Pediatric Nurse ( CPN)
- Peri-anesthesia nursing certification ( CPAN, CAPA)
- Peri-operative Nursing Certification ( CNOR)
- Progressive Care Nursing Certification ( PCCN) - also contact Nursing Education Services for any in-house training opportunities or study groups
- Transplant Certifications through American Board of Transplant Certification (CCTC, CPTC, CTP, CCTN)
- Internal training opportunities for certifications:
- End of Life (ELNEC) - see NetLearning for UVA-hosted classes!
- Nephrology/Dialysis Certifications (CNN, CDN, CCHT) - see NetLearning for UVA-hosted classes!
- List of Nursing Professional Organizations - consider connecting with your local chapter, which might offer certification preparation resources!
Funding Assistance for Certification is part of UVA Employee Benefits!