At UVA, we encourage our nurses to pursue certification in their specialty. Specialty certification ensures that we provide the safest possible care for our patients. Certification is a requirement for Clinician 4 and Advanced Practice roles.
Funding Assistance for Certification is part of UVA Employee Benefits!
- As of July 1, 2014, UVA Health System participates in the ANCC's
Success Pays TM Program. This program enables UVA
Health System to pay certification exam fees at a discounted
rate so that nurses do not have any out-of-pocket
expense. In order to be eligible for this program, the
certification sought MUST be one of the specialty
certifications offered through the ANCC (not Nurse Practitioner or
Clinical Nurse Specialist Certifications). See table below for
specialty certifications offered through the ANCC. If you are
interested in obtaining your certification via the Success Pays program
and have not previously signed up, please contact the PNSO Support
Office @ 4-9357.
Please note: Whether the fees are paid by UVA Health System or reimbursed to the employee, the maximum benefit per year for any individual is $325 per HR Policy 301.
Please note: Those certifications in the table below with an "*" indicate that the exam has been retired. Renewal is possible but new applications are not being accepted and so these are NOT eligible for pre-payment through the Success PaysTM program.
SPECIALTY CERTTIFICATIONS OFFERED THROUGH ANCC:
- Certifications not offered through ANCC, and re-certification expenses may still be eligible for reimbursement. See Applying for funding assistance for more information.
- Nursing certifications eligible for funding assistance must be on this list of National Certifications recognized by the ANCC for reporting on the Magnet Demographic Data Collection Tool (DDCT)TM. Certifications NOT reimbursed include:
- Certifications required for NPs or CNSs
- Certifications required by virtue of job or position
Tips for UVA Nurses on Becoming Certified
- Consult your local Certification Champion: See the 2013 list (email us to add your name to this resource list!)
- Computer-Based Learning Module: See Netlearning anytime for CBL "Certification Review Materials - Nursing"
- Study Guides: The PNSO Professional Development Committee is partnering with the Health System Library and Nursing Education Services to support nursing certification. Certification resources include purchased and donated study materials, recorded webinars and on-line learning modules. List of resources available at the Health System Library.
- CE Direct & Pearls Review Courses: UVA has
purchased a number of seats for CE Direct (curious
about what they offer? see
course catalog), which includes Pearls Certification
Review Courses for over 80 certifications as well as thousands of
continuing education offerings, to make it easy for UVA nurses to get
certified & stay certified! Seats are popular - contact the Nursing
Education Services Office to learn whether a seat is currently
available, or to be added to the waiting list.
- Study Tips from CE Direct
- Fees for other certification review courses may be reimbursed by requesting centrally funded educational assistance as per HR Policy 301. Per the policy, books, and other course materials and supplies are NOT reimbursable.
- Test-Taking Tips available here
- Information about specific certifications (email us to add tips
for other specialties):
- Cardiac Vascular Nurse ( RN-BC)
- Certified Medical-Surgical Nurse ( CMSRN or RN-BC)
- Certified Nurse Educator ( CNE)
- Critical Care Nursing Certification ( CCRN)
- Neuroscience Nurse ( CNRN) - see NetLearning for UVA-hosted classes!
- Nursing Professional Development certification
- OB-GYN and Neonatal certifications through National Certification Corporation
- Oncology Nursing Certification ( OCN, CPHON, CPON, CBCN)
- Orthopaedic Nursing Certification ( ONC)
- Pain Management Certification ( RN-BC)
- Certified Pediatric Nurse ( CPN)
- Peri-anesthesia nursing certification ( CPAN, CAPA)
- Peri-operative Nursing Certification ( CNOR)
- Progressive Care Nursing Certification ( PCCN) - also contact Nursing Education Services for any in-house training opportunities or study groups
- Transplant Certifications through American Board of Transplant Certification (CCTC, CPTC, CTP, CCTN)
- Contact Nursing Education Services (4-8290) or see Net
Learning for internal training opportunities for certification
- List of Nursing Professional Organizations - consider connecting with your local chapter, which might offer certification preparation resources!
Celebrate National Certified Nurses Day!
- March 19th is the national day for recognizing certified nurses annually.
- The PNSO sponsors events during the entire week such as roving carts with information and treats.
- The PNSO also sponsors a Certification Rally. The rally is held in two parts. Part I recognizes already certified nurses to come celebrate their achievement! Part II of the event targets nurses who express a desire to become certified.
- Local units are also encouraged to recognize the certified
nurses on their team!
- 2014 Shared Agenda Theme for local & central PNSO Committees in March is Certification!
- 2014 Local Honor Roll of Certified Nurses!
- Make sure we recognize your achievement!
keep your RN
Professional Profile updated at least twice a year!