Clinical Practice Committee
The PNSO Bylaws describes Clinical Practice as one of the core missions of the PNSO, and convenes a standing committee of the PNSO to address this mission on an ongoing basis.
The Clinical Practice Committee, in turn, oversees several subcommittees which focus on specific aspects of nursing practice. Each of these bodies stays in close contact with both the Nursing Cabinet and practice areas' Local Practice Liaisons, assuring communication and shared decision-making on proposed improvements in patient care affecting nursing. The Clinical Practice Committee also works closely with liaisons to interdisciplinary practice committees. The Chair represents Nursing on the hospital-wide Patient Care Committee.
Our point-of-care nurses observe changes that would help them care for patients better. We follow an evidence-based practice philosophy, and the autonomy of our shared governance model at UVA enables us to make changes to improve nursing practice across all areas.
- Suggest a practice change.
- Tools for Planning Practice Changes: In planning and implementing practice changes, please follow this step-by-step evidence-based framework, and use this template as a worksheet for researching evidence and coordinating education, implementation and metrics for the change (see an example of the completed template here).
- Keep up with the latest evidence! To get started, consider working with the PNSO's Research Review/Recommendations Committee (chairs David Strider & Barb Trotter), or with Kelly Near, our nursing & patient liaison in the Health System Library. Through the Library, we have access to the Joanna Briggs Institute's nursing evidence database tools, as well as an online journal club that makes it easy to assess & share the latest literature.
- Bring broad clinical issues and suggestions to the PNSO's central Clinical Practice Committee, (2014 chair Suzanne Fuhrmeister, MSN, ACNS-BC, RN-BC, APN1-CNS, Inpatient Heart) and connect with subcommittees such as the Critical Care Procedure Committee.
- Stay updated on key changes in UVA nursing clinical practice through our monthly PNSO Practice News newsletter.
- Share your research projects & EBP solutions at the annual PNSO Evidence-Based Practice Symposium, celebrating its 10th anniversary in 2014!