Clinical Career Ladder
Welcome to the guide for the University of Virginia Health System's Professional Nursing Staff Organization Clinical Career Ladder. The Ladder was initiated at UVA in 1988 and is based on Patricia Benner's work From Novice to Expert published in 1984. The Ladder continues to evolve based on nursing feedback and the needs of the organization. The decision to pursue advancement beyond the entry level is an individual choice based on interest in professional development, increased responsibility and accountability. Click the links below for more detailed information about UVAHS's Clinical Career Ladder.
Find Career Ladder information for 2015 in:
Quick Links to Specific Handbook Sections:
Notice of Intent
Now web-based: Notice of Intent to Advance form
- Now web-based:
Career Ladder Portfolio Submission form
for Advancement, Validation, and Revalidation into Clinician III or higher roles.
Use this form to submit your materials, and check on progress updates from the Panelists regarding
your interview status and decision letters!
- Hardcopy submission is still requested in these
- Submit just a hardcopy CV and applicable Checklist (not a full portfolio) to your Manager (not to the PNSO Office),
if you are...
- Clinician 1 advancing to Clinician 2 |
- externally hired Clinician 2 validating post-hire |
Make sure to include the appropriate Checklist when submitting your portfolio:
- Clinician I to II | Clinician II Validation Assessment Tool
- Clinician II to Clinician III
- Clinician III to Clinician IV
- APN 1 to APN 2
- APN 2 to APN 3
(tip: if a "SSL / Secure Sockets Layer" popup appears, just click NO, and the document opens fine)
MANAGERS & ADMINISTRATORS:
- Managers' Toolkit
- Administrators' & APNs' Toolkit for Advanced Practice ladder