Complications associated with enteral feedings fall into three major
Management of Complications Encountered During Tube
|Nausea & Vomiting
||· Maintain head of bed elevated
· Consider prokinetic medications
· Initiate tube feeding at low rates, advance slowly,
· Consider alternate feeding routes i.e., duodenal/jejunal
||· Increase free water intake
· Digital disimpaction
· Choose fiber containing formula or add fiber or prune juice
||· Consult pharmacist for review of medications causing diarrhea and
· Look for Sorbitol on label of oral prescription medications
· Consider switch to continuous feedings. Begin at slow infusion rate,
advance slowly, as tolerated.
· Reduce tube feeding rate to previously tolerated rate. Then advance
more slowly, as tolerated.
· Use fiber containing formula or add fiber to the tube feeding.