Steps to Becoming a Volunteer
Our start up process ensures that volunteers have a thorough, consistent screening and training process. The process takes approximately one month. Please contact us at 434.924.5251 to set up an appointment.
Standard Requirements to Volunteer
- Interview with one of our Volunteer Coordinators
- Complete an Application
- Provide authorization for a Criminal History background check
- Complete a free health screening offered by UVA Employee Health to include:
- Review of previous immunizations
- TB screening before beginning as a volunteer and then again annually
- Flu vaccination annually
Attend Safety & Service orientation, a 3 hour training including general information about the Medical Center, infection control, HIPAA, customer service
Obtain a photo ID badge
Attend role specific training
A commitment of 50 hours volunteer service is required*
Adult Volunteers - Most volunteers give one shift per week; either a morning, afternoon or evening shift – the time is defined by your volunteer assignment.
Summer volunteers – Require a substantial time commitment. Some programs require two shifts per week.
Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
Location: University Hospital main lobby just past the Hospital Auxiliary Gift Shop and across from the cafeteria.
Phone number: 434.924.5251
*Some programs require additional hours