Liz Courain Madison House Graduate Degree Scholarship
The Liz Courain Madison House Graduate Degree Scholarship is being funded by the UVA Hospital Auxiliary with the first scholarship of $2,500 to be awarded in the spring of 2013. The scholarship honors Liz Courain who served as Executive Director of Madison House from 1987 to 1992. During her tenure the number of student volunteers increased dramatically. Liz went on to become Director of Volunteer Services at UVA Medical Center in 1992 and continued in that position until her retirement in January 2012, during which time the number of Medical Center volunteers grew to over 1,000 and the number of annual volunteer hours to 85,000.
- Applicant must have graduated from UVA or expect to graduate in May 2013
- Applicant must have been accepted into a health care degree program
- Applicant must have volunteered a minimum of 150 hours at UVA Health System through the Madison House Med-Services program
- Applicant must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident who holds permanent resident ID card or current passport
- Scholarship award ($2,500) may only be received once
- Scholarship funds will be issued directly to the recipient’s campus and will not be used to pay back college loans of any kind
- Two recommendations from sources other than family members, friends or UVA Volunteer Services staff must be provided
- Student must apply for scholarship within 3 years of graduating from UVA
- Scholarship application will be available online beginning February 1, 2013. Deadline for submission of the complete application (including receipt of two references) is April 1, 2013. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered. No incomplete applications will be considered.
Announcement of scholarship recipient will by May 1, 2013.
Click here to apply for the Liz Courain Madison House Graduate Degree Scholarship.