Risk Reduction Programs & Presentations
UVA-WorkMed Health & Wellness Programs (6-week series)
“Change of Heart”
· Presented by a physician and registered dietitian, this comprehensive program focuses on reducing your employees’ risk of cardiovascular disease.
· This program covers such topics as cause and risk of heart disease, improving exercise and eating habits, medications and working with one’s physician and maintaining healthy habits.
· Designed to provide knowledge and practical tips to each participant and to enable them to set and act upon health-improving goals.
“Couch to 5K”
· Running class for those with lapsed, little or no running experience.
· Twice weekly classes include proper warm up, cool down and stretching instruction.
· Safe, progressive program designed to get you enjoying running in no time!
· Six weekly classes, scheduled for your group, 15-25 participants, at your location, with instructor.
· 30 minutes of nutrition plus 20 minutes exercise!
· Includes pre- and post-fitness testing, designed to improve weight, health and fitness.
“Exercise on the Cheap”
· An interactive, “how to”, introductory exercise class taught by a health educator.
· Provides an economical approach and baseline instruction to start an effective exercise program without the need for special equipment.
· Instruction includes basic exercise routine including strength exercises and stretches to “kick start” their exercise program.
“Exercise for the Real World”
· Explore the benefits of aerobic, strength and stretch exercises
· Lean how to use interval training to improve overall results
· Understand how to fit effective exercise into small, frequent blocks of time
· Adaptable to beginners and experts
· Guided, 15-minute energy boost class meets twice weekly for six weeks.
· No equipment needed, except walking shoes.
· Weather will dictate an outdoor or indoor route that accommodates all.
· Stretch your limbs, strengthen your heart, and put a smile on your face.
· Individuals or groups walk on their own 2 days each week, for 15 minutes.
· Report steps count each week to the UVA-WorkMed team.
· Compete among work areas!
· A “how to”, interactive flexibility class
· Focused on injury prevention and improved exercise performance
· Introduces general benefits of stretching and specific stretches for walking program
“Well At Work”
· Six week ONLINE program for improving eating and exercise habits!
· Video segments each week, to view at your convenience.
· Support, motivation and encouragement through weekly emails and links.
Single-Session Health/Wellness Presentations (45 – 60 minutes each)
Cardiovascular disease is the number one killer and disabler in the developed world, for both men and women. Untold hours of lost productivity and costs of health care occur due to this health risk. Simple dietary measures have been proven to reduce high blood pressure, one of the leading risk factors. Participants learn how to implement these simple measures, as well as the role of fats, fiber, fruits, and vegetables in keeping the heart healthy. The goal is to achieve a healthy balance in daily eating habits.
Health on the
This class is designed for people on the run—whether on the road daily or for extended amounts of time. Practical tips are introduced to protect and enhance health while eating anywhere from a high-end restaurant to a fast food drive-through. Class can be tailored to the specific “road” needs of the group.
Holiday Eating 101
Learn how to avoid the “seasonal seven” weight gain with delicious food, stress busters and activity ideas.
The when, why, where and what of smart snacks. Test your knowledge of portion size.
Sample some surprisingly delicious smart snacks. Plan your “smart snack” future. Win a take-away snack item.
Vim, Vigor & Vitality
An interactive nutrition and exercise session to teach five simple food truths and three types of exercise that can be done in ten-minute segments. Class participants learn how ten minutes of exercise, 15 times per week—with focus, can improve strength, flexibility and cardiovascular endurance. An emphasis is placed on intensity and correct technique. This class will also cover easy, important steps to improve personal, daily nutrition. Participants will briefly exercise however; no change of clothes is necessary.
W2O = Work Workout
Did you know that doing your best at work depends on a work work-out? Come learn how to improve your energy and health while you are at work. Moving regularly with your body’s natural inclinations and giving just a few minutes throughout your day makes you more productive. In this class, we’ll show you why and how adding some movement into your work day can improve your energy, attitude, concentration, and health. Take the class, and then repeat at work!