As part of UVA Surgical Services, you have a wide spectrum of choices for your nursing career path — each challenging, each rewarding, and each utilizing innovative equipment and procedures. Among these choices include a new, state-of-the-art "Smart" Operating Room, the Post-Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Surgical Admissions Suite (SAS), Pre-Anesthesia Testing Center and an Outpatient Surgical Center. We also ensure your continued preparedness through our innovative OR training program.
Professional surgical nursing practice is enhanced by:
- Support staff roles that allow nurses to practice the art and science of nursing
- Support for continuing education contributing to high rates of certification
- Wide range of expertise among nursing colleagues to provide guidance and mentoring for novices
- Collaborative approach to care
- Ongoing support for nursing research conducted at the bedside
Innovative technologies, including:
- Two-way, hands-free wireless communication
- Robotics program
- High-level integration and "Smart OR" technology
- Coming Soon - Complete computerized documentation, including monitor capture and integration with a computerized anesthesia system
- OR Training Program
To train newly graduated nurses interested in surgical services and experienced nurses wishing to change the focus of their practice, UVA OR utilizes the AORN's innovative "Periop 101" core curriculum program. The peer-reviewed program is written by expert perioperative nurses and is based on the AORN's Perioperative Standards and Recommended Practices. Each four- to six-month program consists of computer-based modules, post-tests and classroom experience in a "Mock OR," providing training in both the circulating and scrub roles, giving UVA nurses a solid perioperative orientation.