The Educational Assistance Program
provides Medical Center employees with centrally-funded benefits for
approved academic courses and professional certification
An overview is provided below. Please see
Educational Assistance Policy for detailed information.
- Regular full and part-time employees (20+ hours/wk), flex staff and
management employees that have completed 6 consecutive months (12
months for RN Clinician I) of employment prior to the beginning of the
course are eligible.
- Unit-based and Medical Center Pool employees are not eligible.
Course is eligible if it meets at least one of the following
- Accredited academic course that is of value/benefit to the Medical
- Review course for a professional certification approved by the
- English as a Second Language (ESL), literacy and related
Generally may not exceed a maximum of 7 undergraduate credits, or 6
graduate credits per semester
- Employees receive up to $2,000 per calendar year for eligible
- Employees in "hard to fill" positions, or those pursuing degree
requirements for one of these positions, may receive up to $5,250 per
year for eligible courses
- Benefits are also available for approved professional certification
expenses up to $325 for initial certification and $100 for
re-certification per year
- In general, educational assistance will be provided as a
reimbursement after successful completion of the course or professional
certification. However, tuition will be paid in advance for courses
taken at UVA and for employees with two or more years of consecutive
employment and an annual salary of $43,000 or less.
- Employees may also receive professional development funding from
their department for non-credit courses or professional conference
expenses that are not covered under the Educational Assistance
Policy and Form