February 2009 Minutes
Date: February 19, 2009
Time: 10:00 am
Place: McKim Hall, VP Conference Room 3001
Representatives in Attendance: Johy Betts, Leslie Yowell, Mike Wilson, June Wade, Nancy Kriigel, Ruth Dudley, Della Marsh, Monique Collins, Lynn McCutcheon, David V. Smith, Cathy Pasternak, Rosemary Knight and Mary Leigh Thacker
I. Call to Order: Meeting was called to order by Johy Betts.
II. Reports: University Human Resources - Beth Reinhard reported the following:
(1) "Managing at U.Va" workshops will be held Tuesday and Wednesday of next week, 9am-12noon in Newcomb Hall. Please visit http://www.hrs.virginia.edu/career/dot/managingatuva.html for additional information.
(2) Upcoming UVA trips: Alaska Cruise is scheduled July 25-August 2, 2009 (cost $1,399); Honolulu, Hawaii, October 18-25, 2009 (cost $1,299); and Amsterdam, Netherlands is scheduled November 7-14, 2009 (cost $1,299). Please visit http://www.hrs.virginia.edu/benefits/travelopp.html to get additional information.
(3) Official restructuring information - look for April announcement.
(4) Services Award Dates: Friday, May 29, 2009, 1:30-3:30pm at John Paul Jones Arena for those celebrating 10, 15 and 20 years of service. Wednesday, June 10, 2009, 5:30-8:30pm at Boar's Head Inn Pavilion for those celebrating 25-50 years of service.
(5) Outstanding Contribution Awards: Nomination deadline is March 11, 2009.
Provost Office - John Teahan reported the following:
(1) As of July 1, 2009, Harry Harding will become the first dean of the University of Virginia's Frank Batten Sr. School of Leadership and Public Policy. It is official - UVA now has "11" Schools!
(2) Their office is working on simplifying the process of faculty exit procedures. More information will be coming soon.
III. Guest Speaker: Owen McKenzie, Director of Faculty and Employee Assistance Program
The Faculty and Employee Assistance Program begin providing services in 1991 to UVA employees and their families. It has expanded its services to many area employers such as County of Albemarle, Crutchfield Corporation, JABA, Senior Center, Charlottesville City Schools, ARC of the Piedmont, etc. Their offices are located at 1224 Jefferson Park Avenue, 7th Floor, Suite 777 (Blake Center). "The mission of FEAP is to assist organizations to maximize employee productivity, to help employees identify and resolve personal concerns that may affect job performance, and strive to boost morale and improve employee retention." They will assist with wills, bankruptcy, hiring an attorney, etc. but not labor issues.
FEAP consultants -
Rebecca Mason - Addictions, crisis/trauma, stress management
Ida Perea - Disability, finances, grief and loss, eldercare
Mary Sherman - Coaching, balancing work and home, domestic violence
Brenda Wilson - Eldercare, work/life, parenting
Owen McKenzie, Director - Couples, substance abuse, grief and loss, life adjustments, and management
FEAP consultants will meet with you to assess your situation and work to develop a plan to solve your problem. If additional resources are needed, they will try to refer you to a health care provider within the system to avoid high co-pays. FEAP services are provided at no cost but you are responsible for additional referral fees. They have a 12 question survey which ten other universities use. FEAP ranks high with 95% highly satisfied with their experience. Mr. McKenzie read positive feedback from several satisfied people. Everything is confidential between you and your counselor. The only way information is shared is if you were formally referred and you signed a release form. If FEAP and you decide that an attorney is needed, you will receive ½ hour free legal advice and in most cases, 25% off attorney fees. FEAP's hours are 8am-5pm and around the clock for emergencies. Additional information can be found on their website: http://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/pub/feap/.
IV. New Business: None
V. Old Business:
(1) Minutes from September 2008 and November 2008 will be posted soon.
(2) Sarah Collie, Office of the VP for Management and Budget will be the guest speaker for March 2009 meeting.
(3) Suggestions for future speakers:
a. Caroline Walters, Records Management
b. Steven DeKosky, Vice President and Dean of the School of Medicine
c. Colette Sheehy, Budget Cuts
d. Someone regarding bi-weekly payroll
VI. Committee Reports: None
VII. Adjournment: Johy Betts adjourned the meeting. The next meeting is scheduled on March 19, 2009 at 10:00am.