Health System Academic and Research Employee Council Meeting Minutes from
March 21, 2002
VP Conference Room - McKim Hall
With the majority of the Council representatives present, the meeting was called to order, and official Council proceedings commenced.
The first speaker was Jackie Cooke, Employee Relations Councilor, who came to speak on behalf of William Vining, who was just returning from the UVA sponsored trip to Spain. The council looks forward to hearing about the trip next month. Mrs. Cooke had several reminders for our group.
- The New Employee and Faculty Welcome and Resource Fair is scheduled for April 17th at 2:00 in Newcomb Hall. There will be a short video presentation which will be followed by the open exhibitors hall in the ballroom. The majority of the services that are available to UVA employees will be on display including VRS, TIAA-CREF, Human Resources, Employee Assistance, and many others. This is a great opportunity for new and established employees as well.
- The Annual Service Awards Program will be held on May 21st at 2:00 in Cabell Hall. Those employees who will be receiving their 10, 15, or 20 year Service Awards will be honored at this event. The ceremony will be followed by a reception. Invitations for this will be mailed out in April. The Distinguished Service Award Banquet will be held on June 13th at 6:00 in the OMNI Charlottesville. This program will honor those employees with 25, 30, 35, 40, and 45 years of service (and yes, there will be a 45 year award given this year!). This program is also where the Outstanding Contributor Award is given to five employees from the academic side and five employees from the Health System as nominated by their peers or supervisors. A copy of the nomination form was distributed to all who attended the meeting, but the form is available from the UVA HR web site. The nomination form deadline is March 30th, so please act quickly if you intend to nominate a co-worker.
- A question from the group regarding the loss of the long-term disability carrier was posed to Mrs. Cooke. She stated that the University is seeking to secure a carrier and will let us know as soon as one is found. Mrs. Cooke also stated that those employees who are currently enrolled should contact payroll to arrange for the premiums to stop being deducted until a new carrier is established. Any questions, please contact HR. With no further questions, Mrs. Cooke was thanked for coming to our meeting and the next speaker introduced.
Anda Webb next took the floor by answering a request from the group. It was noted that the Scott Stadium bus stop has been very muddy recently and is ruining employees shoes. Mrs. Webb stated she would discuss the issue with Facilities Management and will let us know the resolution next month. Mrs. Webb then moved on to her items for discussion. The Provost's Office is in the process of moving to their new space at the Booker House, just east of Madison Hall. The phone numbers will remain the same.
Mrs. Webb then covered the budget and it's related topics.
- The state budget has been approved by the General Assembly and has been sent to the Governor for his approval and is due by April 1st. The budget proposed for UVA outlines a 15% reduction for this fiscal year, with most schools feeling a 4.3% budget reduction. It is anticipated that a tuition increase will be levied to offset the reduction.
- The General Assembly has requested a one-time bonus increase for State employees which, if approved, will be distributed in December of this year The bonus is roughly 2.5% of your salary, and will be taxed at the bonus salary rate. The option may be offered that would allow for leave time and/or pay based on individual preference. Please stay tuned for further information as it is made available.
With no further items to present by Mrs. Webb, the floor was opened for general discussion.
Monte Parsons wanted to clarify an e-mail notice that was distributed earlier in the week. Leonard Sandridge sent a message that the Department of Parking and Transportation will announce that it will defer parking rate increases for the upcoming academic year. This applies to all Medical Center lots, as well as, all Blue and Red permits. Some academic lots will be evaluated in December and their rate increase may be deferred until then. If you have specific parking questions, please contact Dr. J. Levine's office or Parking and Transportation.
With no further items for discussion, the meeting was adjourned. The next meeting will be held on April 18th at 10:00.