By-Laws Revised 10/3/12.
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA HEALTH
SYSTEM ACADEMIC AND RESEARCH
Table of Contents:
- PURPOSE: The purpose of the council is
- Facilitate communication among classified Classified and University
Staff and interaction with University Department of Human
- Receive and discuss employee ideas for the purpose of improving
relations among faculty and staff within the University of Virginia
Health System. The resolution of specific individual personal concerns
is not the responsibility of the council.
- SCOPE OF AUTHORITY
- The council assumes no administrative authority.
- Council members are responsible for soliciting ideas and
general concerns from those employees they represent and for reporting
council meeting information back to those employees on a timely
- Qualifications and Representation:
- Membership will consist of classified and University
- Council may review the voting procedures established for the
- Each representative will have one alternate to replace each council
representative absent from meetings and to become a representative in
the event of a vacancy.
- The Director of Employee Relations or his designee will attend all
meetings as a resource for Human Resources policy and initiatives and
give timely information on pertinent issues in an ex-officio
- Representatives on the council will serve for a two-year period
according to a rotation system whereby approximately one-half of the
representatives may be replaced each year. Representatives may stand
for re-election at the end of two years and may serve uninterrupted
- If a representative resigns, or through other circumstances, can no
longer complete his/her term, the alternate will become the
representative. In the absence of such a person, the appropriate
supervisor will appoint a replacement. The alternate or appointed
replacement will serve for the remainder of the vacated term.
- Conduct and Responsibilities of Representatives
- A representative may resign by informing the Council Chair or the
Secretary of the council in writing.
- Absences should be announced in advance to the Council Chair or
Secretary, with every effort made for the designated alternate to
- Representatives will be excused from normal work duties to attend
the monthly council meetings.
- Representatives, especially officers, will be granted a reasonable
amount of additional time to attend specific council affairs as
requested by the Council Chair.
- If a representative's employment status changes within the
University of Virginia Health System during his/her term of office,
he/she must notify the council chair who will communicate with the
department chair to select a replacement.
- Representatives will strive to keep their constituents informed of
council activities and will actively solicit the views of their
constituents to present to council.
- ELECTIONS OF REPRESENTATIVES
- Selection of representatives will be the responsibility of each
- Each department/division will submit to the Council Chair a list of
its elected representative(s) and an Alternate.
- Selections of representatives will be held during May.
- New representatives will assume office at the June meeting.
- The officers of the council consist of a Chair, a Vice Chair and a
- The Chair will:
- Preside at all meetings.
- Call special meetings of the council when deemed necessary.
- Serve as a Health System Representative on the Executive Committee
of the Employee Councils.
- Organize monthly speakers program.
- The Vice Chair will:
- Assume the duties of the Chair when necessary and will be the
principal assistant to the chair.
- Serve as a Health System representative on the Executive Committee
of the Employee Councils.
- Act as secretary in the absence of the elected secretary.
- Ensure that representatives ar notified of monthly meetings and
- Maintain and monitor attendance lists and inform the Council Chair
- The Secretary will:
- Keep minutes of all meetings and distribute them to representatives
rior to the next Council meeting and post them to the
- Ensure that correspondence relating to council matters is
distributed in a timely manner.
- Maintain appropriate files for the Council.
- OFFICER ELECTION PROCEDURE:
- A Nominating Committee of the University of Virginia Health System
Academic and Research Employee Council shall be established in April to
begin deliberations concerning election of council officers for the
next fiscal year.
- In accordance with Roberts Rules of Order, no current officer of
the Council shall serve as a member of the Nominating Committee.
- The Nominating Committee shall consist of no more than four
members. Individuals shall be notified, prior to the presentation
of names at the meeting, to solicit their interest in serving as an
officer. This official notification shall contain the requirements of
each office. The Council Chair shall also solicit nominations from the
- At least one month prior to the election of new officers the
following will take place:
- The chair of the Nominating Committee shall make an announcement of
candidates for each office to the council.
- Each candidate shall make a brief statement, if requested, to the
membership about how he/she can best serve the membership as an
- Officers (Chair, Vice Chair and Secretary) will be nominated and
elected by ballot by the representatives for a term of one year at
the July meeting and will be taking office at the September
meeting. Officers may serve two consecutive terms and may stand for
re-election after one year's absence from their previous term as an
- In case of a vacancy of an office, the representatives will elect a
replacement from their members. The replacement will serve until the
annual election of officers is held.
- CONDUCTING BUSINESS
- A simple majority of council representatives will constitute a
quorum for handling business.
- A majority vote of representatives present will carry a motion
except on a motion to amend the By-laws. In this case,one half
(50%) of the representatives must be present and one half
(50%) of these must vote in favor of any amendment.
- Votes may be by acclamation or show of hands, unless a
representative requests a secret ballot vote.
- Regular council meetings will be held monthly at a time and place
designated by the Council Chair.
- Meetings will be conducted in accordance with Roberts Rules of
- Council will invite the VPPHS annually to give a general message on
the state of the University of Virginia Health System and will be
available for questions.
- Committees or sub-committees may be appointed by the Council Chair
as necessary to carry out the work of the council.
- Council meetings are open to observers or visitors who have
received prior invitation or permission from the Council Chair.
- There will be no meetings of Council in August and December.