The Learning Clinic is located at the Kluge Children's Rehabilitation Center. It offers a comprehensive, diagnostic evaluation service for children from kindergarten through high school. An educational consultant with the Hospital Education Program, a developmental pediatric nurse practitioner, and a psychologist provide assessment and guidance related to a child's learning problems. Children can also be scheduled for evaluations with other disciplines such as audiology or occupational, physical, and/or speech/language therapies during their Learning Clinic visit. Referrals to the Learning Clinic are made by parents, physicians, teachers, and/or school systems for issues such as:
- school failure,
- difficulty learning and remembering information,
- attention problems,
- a parent seeking a first or second opinion about a child's learning profile,
- a child transitioning from one level to the next, (i.e., preschool to kindergarten or high school to college), and/or
- a request for an Independent Educational Evaluation (IEE) following a school division evaluation.
Prior to a child's visit to the Learning Clinic, the educational consultant and other team members review school and medical records. With parent permission the educational consultant contacts the child's teacher/guidance counselor to discuss current school performance and ongoing concerns. Standardized assessment tools are selected for the evaluation based on the referral questions of parents and school divisions.
At the conclusion of the Learning Clinic visit, parents may expect:
- an explanation of assessment results,
- recommendations based on assessment results,
- an interpretive summary outlining impressions and recommendations of the interdisciplinary team,
- an information packet to take home, and
- a follow-up contact with the home school division, if requested by the family.
All HEP services are free to children and their families. There is a comprehensive fee charged for the Learning Clinic evaluation. That fee is applied to services provided by other disciplines. For more information about the Learning Clinic, call (434) 924-5384. Contact may also be made toll free at (800) 627-8596, ext. 4-5384 and by e-mail at KCRC Learning.