Caregivers Support Group meets in Room 2080 in McKim Hall, on the 2nd floor. Contact Brenda Wilson, Geriatric Care Manager at 434.924.5483 if interested in more information.
Elder Caregiving is the process of helping to care for our elderly friends or relatives. This might be during an unexpected health crisis or more long term through the normal course of aging. Depending on the resources and abilities of the adult children involved in this process, the caregiver may provide physical care or assist with decision making and planning.
Regardless, there are many emotional, social, financial, medical and logistical issues associated with each step of Elder Caregiving and there are no right and wrong answers because each elder person’s needs, desires, and resources are different. The FEAP has responded to growing employee needs for assistance with Elder Caregiving concerns.
An Eldercare Specialist is available to meet with the employee and/or family member about their specific concerns and provide concrete resource information, help with problem solving, develop some long-term care plans or just talk things over.
Whether your elders are local or long distance, FEAP can help. If you have a general question about Eldercare, please use our contact form.
Consultation and Assessment of the employee’s caregiving situation by a LCSW experienced in all aspects of eldercare. These free and confidential appointments can be scheduled to look at the physical care needs, family supports, financial resources, legal needs, long-term care plans and emotional issues raised by elder caregiving;
- Identification of the most pressing concerns, problem-solving, and short and long-term care planning can be addressed;
- Provision of concrete information about local, state and national resources;
- Brief individual and/or family counseling around elder caregiving issues;
- Telephone consultation for specific questions, concerns or referral needs is available.
- Information and assistance accessing the Backup Care Options Program for your work life balance needs while caregiving (available to UPG, Medical Center, and UVA employees)
Call Brenda Wilson at (434) 924-5483 to schedule an appointment to discuss the following information:
Advanced Directives and Living Wills
Elder Law Attorneys
Continuing Care Retirement Communities
Elder Resources for Charlottesville
Alzheimer Resources in Charlottesville
Getting Organized for Eldercare
Managing Records and Information
Housing Options for Elders
Medicare and Medicaid Facts
Choosing a Nursing Home
Communicating with Healthcare Providers
Durable Power of Attorney
Estates, Will, Trusts
Long-Term Care Insurance
Assisted Living Options
Paying for Assisted Living
Nursing Facility Options
Independent Living Options
Seminars are available on a variety of elder care issues:
- Caregiver Stress
- Caregiving and Work: Can We Do Them Both Well?
- Communicating with Your Healthcare Provider
- Community Resources in Eldercare
- Communicating with Your Elders
- Conversations in Elder Caregiving
- Depression in the Elderly
- Family Dynamics and Elder Caregiving
- Getting Organized for Elder Caregiving
- Housing Options in Elder Care
- Long Distance Caregiving
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Medicare, Medicaid, and Long Term Care
- Navigating the Healthcare System