Mission and Role of the Clinical
- To decrease the incidence of morbidity and mortality associated
with nutritional problems in our pediatric patient population.
- To improve patient clinical outcomes by providing timely, optimum,
safe and cost-effective nutrition through either the oral route, or for
those children who are critically or chronically ill using tube
feedings or parenteral nutrition support.
- To identify patients who will benefit from nutrition
- To provide patient education in the areas of specialized or
therapeutic diets, or for specialized enteral or parenteral nutrition
support, including but not limited to, diabetes diet education, low fat
or low sodium diets, specialized formula preparation, tube feeding
- To provide medical and health care staff and student education in
the areas of pediatric nutrition or specialized nutrition support via
formal lectures, patient unit and discharge planning rounds.
- To develop and review hospital and departmental policies and
procedures to promote the appropriate and effective use of nutrition
therapy and support.