Nutrition Support Blog: On the Road Weekend Warrior Programs—How Do They Happen?
November 7, 2011
We frequently get emails and questions from clinicians asking, “When will the On-the-Road Weekend Warrior (WW) program be coming to my city or part of the country?!” This question comes up often enough that we thought we’d take a moment to explain what goes into the planning of an “On-the-Road” WW program and how you may be able to organize a program in your area.
All of our On-the-Road WW programs start with an interested person or group contacting us. To take the program “On the Road”, we need a designated program coordinator and a host facility in that city/region. Our team works closely with this group to plan and implement the program. Some of the responsibilities of the program coordinator and host facility include:
- Securing appropriate meeting space at the host facility for the program with AV, internet access, etc.
- Providing information regarding local travel, hotels, parking, directions, and any other information needed by speakers and participants
- A designated person(s) to attend the actual program weekend and assist the speakers and participants as needed
- Local advertising and promotion
- Copying and production of the program manual and lecture handouts
- Providing and coordinating meals and light refreshments
The next question is always, “How much does it cost?” Well, there is not a simple answer for this. The total cost will depend on travel costs to the specific region and a variety of other factors. If you are interested in hosting the program and a have a facility able to provide the requirements above, feel free to contact us! We will gather a little bit more information and put together a more detailed proposal.
We know that increasing travel costs and decreasing educational budgets do not make it possible for all interested clinicians to travel here to Virginia for Nutrition Support training. We have enjoyed taking the program on the road and having the opportunity to work with clinicians around the country and in Canada. We would be happy to work with your group to see if a program in your locality is feasible.
Questions or Comments? Email Stacey McCray, RD at firstname.lastname@example.org.