Pharmacy & Therapeutics Subcommittee
Administration: Michelle McCarthy, Pharm D
Chair: Randolph J. Canterbury, M.D.
The Pharmacy and Therapeutics Subcommittee is an interdisciplinary committee charged with the institutional oversight of the use of pharmaceutical and other therapeutic products. This Committee reports to the Clinical Staff Executive Committee and is authorized to develop and maintain a Medical Center formulary that is financially responsible and clinically effective.
Membership: Includes the Director of Pharmacy and representation from the Clinical Staff, Housestaff, Nursing staff and a clinical nutritionist.
Staff support is provided by the Pharmacy Department.
Meetings: The Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee shall meet monthly or as otherwise deemed necessary by the Chair, but not less than quarterly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes current literature and evidence-based medicine to approve drugs for the Medical Center formulary, including assessments of the cost effectiveness of drugs
- Approves institutional procedures that consider risk potential for error related to the ordering, storage, security, distribution and administration of pharmaceuticals and other therapeutics
- Recommends policy related to the storage, security, distribution and administration of pharmaceuticals and other therapeutics
- Reviews the utilization of specific high risk, high volume drugs, approves utilization guidelines as indicated, collaborates with appropriate departments and committees to effect changes in practice and monitors practice to ensure that changes occur
- Directs and oversees the work of the Radioactive Drug Research Subcommittee
- Ensures safe practices related to food and drug interactions
- Evaluates adverse drug reactions
- Monitors quality assurance data related to the storage, security and distribution of medications
- Provides institutional direction for staff and patient education regarding medication use
- Collaborates with other committees and departments to ensure the safe and effective use of medications
- Provides an annual report to the Clinical Staff Executive Committee
|Randolph J. Canterbury, M.D., Chair||Psychiatric Medicine|
|Rick Carpenter, RN||Patient Care Services|
|Nathan Charlton, M.D.
|Sean Corbett, M.D.
|John Densmore, M.D.||Medicine|
|George Hoke, M.D.
|Michelle McCarthy, Pharm. D.||Pharmacy|
|Susan Miller, M.D.
||Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
|Thomas Pajewski, M.D.||Anesthesiology|
|Rafael Saenz, Pharm D
|Scott Sanoff, M.D.
|Maggie Short, RN||Continuum Home Health|
|Timothy Schmitt, M.D.
|Brian Wispelwey, M.D.||Medicine|