Operating Room Committee
Please see the OR Committee web site (intranet) »
The Operating Room Committee (ORC) is an interdisciplinary committee charged to coordinate and standardize the care of patients undergoing surgical or other invasive procedures. This Committee oversees clinical practice related to Pre, Peri and Post procedure care. The specific areas include the main OR (MOR), PACU, SAS, PETC, the outpatient surgical center (OPSC) and the genitourinary (GU) rooms.
The committee is responsible for reviewing budgets and making recommendations on capital expenditure and personnel. The committee oversees the equitable distribution of resources, including OR tie, within the operative areas to meet the needs of surgical patients with a focus on: patient safety, quality of care, patient satisfaction and fiscal responsibility. The ORC has the authority to establish clinical procedures and policy within the MC Operating Rooms, and recommend policy related to those procedures outside of the OR. The OR Committee is also responsible for incorporating the other Clinical Staff and GME policies into practice. The ORC must work to assure the goals and objectives of the Health System are met by working collaboratively with the Quality Committee and Patient Safety Committee to monitor and improve care and ensure patient safety. The Associate CMO for Peri-operative Services, in conjunction with the co-Chair of the OR, is responsible for monitoring compliance with policies and procedures within the surgical environment. Also, the ACMO for Peri-operative Services and the ORC co-chair must work with the Department Chairs and Administrative leadership to assure that personnel, including GME trainees, LIP's, nurses, support staff, working in the surgical environment (PACU, SPD/SS, SAS, PETC, MOR, and OPSC) are held accountable to the policies and procedures of the surgical environment.
To accomplish these committee aims and specific operational objectives of the Peri-operative environment, the ORC is broken down into "working" subcommittees, with the chair of the subcommittees to be appointed by the chair of the Executive Subcommittee of the ORC. The subcommittee chair will appoint other members of their own subcommittee with advice from the ORC executive group. Staff Support is provided by OR Administration.Duties and Responsibilities
- Recommends and approves policy and procedures that are specific to
the peri-operative areas, MOR and OPSC.
- Monitors, in conjunction with the chairs and MC administrators,
physicians and the MC staff adherence to OR, MC and Clinical Staff
- Utilizes evidence-based medicine to recommend changes in clinical practice
- Governs allocation of resources between departments, and where appropriate, surgeons
- Reviews fiscal budgets and makes recommendations on capital expenditures and personnel hiring
- Addresses efficiency and costs associated with OR operations
- Oversees the operation of OPSC working with OPSC directors
- Provides Institutional oversight and direction for staff and faculty education related to operative and invasive procedures and care of the surgical patient
- Ensures an effective process for patient and family education related to surgical care and informed consent.
- Collaborates with other committees to ensure compliance with the Joint Commission and other legal and regulatory standards related to surgical procedures and care of the patient undergoing a surgical procedure.
- Monitors data related to operative and other invasive procedures,
including but not limited to:
-- appropriateness of procedure
-- procedural and post procedural complications
-- tissue review - discrepancy between pre-procedure diagnosis and pathological diagnosis
-- anesthesia complications
-- clinical outcomes
-- patient satisfaction
- Monitors adherence to policies and procedures
|Kathie Hullfish, MD, Co-Chair
||ACMO Perioperative Services, OB/GYN
|Donna Via, Co-Chair
||Administrator, Perioperative Services
|Bobby Chhabra, M.D.
||Orthopedics, Assoc Chief Medical Officer, Surgical Services
|Bo Cofield, DrPH, MHA, FACHE
|Gary Cuccia, CRNA, RN
|Angel Cyphert, RN
||Post Anesthesia Care Unit
|Lorna Facteau, DNSc, RN||Chief Nursing Officer|
|David Diduch, M.D.||Orthopedics|
|David Drake, M.D.
||Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery
||Operations Mngr, Outpatient Surgery Center
|Debbie Lord, RN
||Outpatient Surgery Center
|Eugene McGahren, M.D.||Surgery|
|Peter Netland, M.D.
|James Reibel, M.D.||Otolaryngology|
|Tom Remy, RN
||Interim Nurse Manager, OR
|George Rich, M.D.||Anesthesiology|
|Mark Shaffrey, M.D.||Neurosurgery|
|Ray Costibile, M.D.||Urology|
||Manager, PETC, SAS, PACU