Operating Room Committee
Please see the OR Committee web site (intranet) »
The Operating Room Committee is an interdisciplinary committee charged to coordinate and standardize the care of patients undergoing surgical or other invasive procedures. This Committee oversees clinical practice related to Pre, Peri and Post procedure care. It has the authority to establish clinical procedure and policy within the Medical Center Operating Rooms and recommend policy related to those procedures outside of the Operating Room. It works collaboratively with the Quality Council to monitor and improve care and ensure patient safety.
Membership: The Chair of this Committee shall be a Physician from one of the surgical specialties or subspecialties. Other Committee members shall include Physicians from other surgical specialties, as well as VASI leadership and Medical Center Administration.
Staff support is provided by the Operating Room Administration.
Meetings: The Operating Room Committee shall meet monthly or as otherwise deemed necessary by the Chair, but not less than quarterly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Utilizes evidence-based medicine to recommend changes in the clinical practice
- Approves policy and procedures that are specific to the Operating Room.
- Recommends policy related to care of the patient undergoing operative and invasive procedures at the Medical Center
- Provides Institutional oversight and direction for staff and faculty education related to operative and invasive procedures and care of the surgical patient
- Ensures an effective process for patient and family education related to surgical care and informed consent.
- Collaborates with other committees to ensure compliance with the Joint Commission and other legal and regulatory standards related to surgical procedures and care of the patient undergoing a surgical procedure.
- Monitors data related to operative and other invasive procedures,
including but not limited to:
-- appropriateness of procedure
-- procedural and post procedural complications
-- tissue review - discrepancy between pre-procedure diagnosis and pathological diagnosis
-- anesthesia complications
-- clinical outcomes
-- patient satisfaction
- Monitors adherence to policies and procedures
|John B. Hanks, M.D., Chair||Surgery|
|Mark Abel, MD
|Bobby Chhabra, M.D.
||Orthopedics, Assoc Chief Medical Officer, Surgical Services
|Bo Cofield, DrPH, MHA, FACHE
|Gary Cuccia, CRNA, RN
|Angel Cyphert, RN
||Post Anesthesia Care Unit
|Lorna Facteau, DNSc, RN||Chief Nursing Officer|
|David Diduch, M.D.||Orthopedics|
|David Drake, M.D.
||Plastic & Maxillofacial Surgery
|Kathie Hullfish, M.D.
||Urogynecology & Pelvic Reconstructive Medicine
|David Jones, M.D.||Surgery|
||Operations Mngr, Outpatient Surgery Center
|Debbie Lord, RN
||Outpatient Surgery Center
|Eugene McGaren, M.D.||Pediatric General Surgery|
|Peter Netland, M.D.
|James Reibel, M.D.||Otolaryngology|
|Tom Remy, RN
||Interim Nurse Manager, OR
|George Rich, M.D.||Anesthesiology|
|Mark Shaffrey, M.D.||Neurosurgery|
|William Steers, M.D.||Urology|
||Manager, PETC, SAS, PACU
|Donna Via, RN||Administrator, PeriOperative Services