Events Calendar - Health System
- 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
- CVRC Seminar, Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Ph.D., "Fasting, Caloric Restriction and Resveratrol Good For Heart Health? Role of Autophagy"
- MR5 1005
- Cardiovascular Research Center
- "Fasting, Caloric Restriction and Resveratrol Good For Heart Health? Role of Autophagy"
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of mortality and morbidity in the developing world. While long-term exposure to cardiovascular risk factors play a major role in the etiopathogenesis of CVD, oxidative stress-induced cardiac damage enhances the susceptibility to develop heart pathologies in late life. The enhanced generation of reactive oxygen species, especially by damaged mitochondria, is considered to be a major contributing mechanism. Hence, the removal of oxidatively modified cellular components and dysfunctional mitochondria is critical for maintenance of cellular homeostasis. Autophagy is a self-digestion process which can degrade damaged proteins and organelles and is also the only known mechanism targeting dysfunctional mitochondria for removal. In our studies, we have investigated whether pharmacological or nutritional enhancement of autophagy offers protection against oxidative stress-mediated dysfunction in a cardiomyocyte.
- Christiaan Leeuwenburgh, Ph.D. Professor of Aging and Geriatric Research, University of Florida
- No registration is necessary
- Andrea McNeely CVRC 2-3792 alm6f@Virginia.EDU